This post is sponsored by Xfinity.
Between work, blogging and my movie addiction, I personally spend a lot of my time in front of a screen. It’s no big surprise that our kids do as well. We are a tech-loving family for sure, but now that summer is here it can easily get out of hand and finding that balance of screen time and other activities can be a challenge. We started out with a timer when the girls were young, but that just didn’t work for us. We actually love that our girls are tech savvy. The timer felt like a punishment and it also didn’t help protect what the girls were exposed to online, which, as a parent, is always a concern. We feel technology is just as important as it is fun in today’s world, so this is something we spent a lot of time working on.
One of the newest tools we found to help families like ours to achieve that balance is Xfinity xFi.
xFi is the simplest, fastest, most complete way to access all of your entertainment on all of your screens, plus it includes the voice remote!
With Xfinity xFi you can:
- Manage your home WiFi network from anywhere, on any device — even from your TV with X1.
- See what devices are online, how long they’ve been on, and even pause WiFi for devices on your network.
- Keep your kids safer as they surf the Web by setting safe browsing modes for kid-appropriate content with Parental Controls.
- You can also easily set limits on their WiFi usage over your home network by creating time restrictions with features like Bedtime Mode to make sure everyone is getting a good night’s sleep
xFi is only available with an Xfinity xFi-capable Wireless Gateway.
- It’s simple, easy set-up gets you online in minutes.
- Start by downloading the Xfinity xFi app
- Snap a pic of your Gateway’s QR code (hint: it’s on the bottom)
- Personalize your WiFi name and password
Learn how Xfinity xFi also allows you to personalize your home WiFi network and more details by visiting the official Xfinity website!
Thanks to xFi, my family can balance our technology usage to spend time doing these 10 fun activities together.
Teach your kids to get dirty. It’s also a great reason to return outside to water daily and enjoy the rewards.
- Home improvement
This can be fun for the whole family and talk about rewarding. There is always something that needs refreshing or improving.
- Library / reading
There is nothing like sitting in the shade on a nice day and reading a good book. This is one of my favorite things.
- Explore your state
Locate your nearest state parks or campgrounds. Camping is always fun! Here in Michigan, we are surrounded by the Great Lakes and great lighthouses.
Finding new treasures for very little money can be a lot of fun.
This is at the top of my summer list. I see a lot of people riding bikes in our neighborhood. It is a great way to get moving and spend time together as a family.
We volunteer at our local pet shelter. I love to walk the dogs, but probably not as much as they love being walked.
- Join a gym or the YMCA.
Our gym has a big outdoor pool that the kids love.
- Cooking or baking
Spending time in the kitchen has a way of bringing families together. I just love it when we all work together to prepare a meal or a dessert. The girls always feel so proud afterward.
- Declutter and reorganize your home
By doing just 20 minutes every day can make a huge difference over the course of a summer. Come fall, you can look back as a family and say “wow, we did this!”
What tools do you use to help balance your family’s summer screen time?
FTC Disclosure: This post was written as part of an ongoing relationship with Xfinity. I was not asked or influenced to write a positive view. All opinions expressed are honest and my own.