Interesting facts about women’s firsts in politics #Suffragette

In celebration of the new movie Suffragette, coming to theaters this Thanksgiving Day, below is a list of interesting facts about women’s firsts in politics.

1960 – Sirimavo Bandaranaike is the first woman head of government, serving as Prime Minister of Sri Lanka.

1973 – Nancy Wechsler comes out as a lesbian while serving as a member of the Human Rights Party on the Ann Arbor City Council, making her the first openly LGBT person in political office.

1974 – Kathy Kozachenko the first openly gay or lesbian candidate to run successfully for political office in the United States, receiving a seat on the Ann Arbor, Michigan city council.

1979 – U.S. women’s suffrage leader, Susan B. Anthony is the first woman in America to be depicted on a coin.

1981 – Sandra Day O’Connor is confirmed as the first female Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court.

1990 – Antonia C. Novello is the first woman and the first Hispanic to hold the position of Surgeon General.

1993 – Janet Reno becomes the first female Attorney General of the United States.

1994 – Deborah Batts becomes the nation’s first openly lesbian African-American federal judge.

1996 – Madeleine Albright becomes the first woman to represent the U.S. in foreign affairs as the secretary of state.

1998 – Tammy Baldwin is the first openly lesbian woman elected to the U.S. Congress. She was also the first openly gay woman to be elected to the U.S. Senate in 2012.

2000 – Hillary Rodham Clinton becomes the first former First Lady elected into national office and the first woman to be elected to the U.S. Senate from New York.

2007 – Nancy Pelosi is elected the first female Speaker of the US House of Representatives.

2008 – Hillary Rodham Clinton is the first woman to win a major American party’s presidential primary for the purposes of delegate selection. She is also the first woman to be an American presidential candidate in every primary and caucus in every state.

2009 – Janet Napolitano is the first woman to serve as Secretary of Homeland Security.

2009 – Sonia Sotomayor is the first Hispanic–American woman to become a U.S. Supreme Court Justice.

2014 – Janet Yellen is the first woman chairperson of the Federal Reserve Board.

2015 – Loretta Lynch is confirmed by the Senate as the first African–American woman and second woman Attorney General.

SUFFRAGETTE_movie _poster001.jpg

Academy Award nominees Carey Mulligan and Helena Bonham Carter, and three–time Academy Award winner Meryl Streep, lead the cast of a powerful drama about the women who were willing to lose everything in their fight for equality in early–20th–century Britain. The stirring story centers on Maud (played by Carey Mulligan), a working wife and mother whose life is forever changed when she is secretly recruited to join the U.K.’s growing Suffragette movement. Galvanized by the outlaw fugitive Emmeline Pankhurst (Meryl Streep), Maud becomes an activist for the cause alongside women from all walks of life. When increasingly aggressive police action forces Maud and her dedicated fellow Suffragettes underground, they engage in a dangerous game of cat–and–mouse with the authorities, who are shocked as the women’s civil disobedience escalates and sparks debate across the nation. Inspired by true events, Suffragette is a moving drama exploring the passion and heartbreak of those who risked all they had for women’s right to vote – their jobs, their homes, their children, and even their lives. Produced by Academy Award nominee Alison Owen and Golden Globe Award nominee Faye Ward, Suffragette is directed by BAFTA Award winner Sarah Gavron from an original screenplay by Emmy Award winner Abi Morgan.

I’ll be taking my girls to see this movie during opening weekend. How about you? Will you see Suffragette while it’s in theaters?

For more information please visit: http://www.focusfeatures.com/suffragette

Follow this release on Facebook and on Twitter

Comments

I really wanted to see this movie and I was getting back from my recent trip the day of the screening, so I missed it. It looks really good! Cary Mulligan is always great, too.

2. Robin Rue (@massholemommy) says:

I literally know nothing about politics, so this was pretty interesting to read. I learned a lot and yay for girl power.

3. I know quite a bit about US politics but nothing about other countries. I will probably watch that movie. I love documentary type movies. Thanks for sharing

4. Elizabeth O. says:

I’m really curious about this film and I would love to watch it. I want to know more about how women fought for their rights during those days and I’m hoping this film would help.

5. I’m really looking forward to this movie coming out and hoping it will make an impact on my fifteen year old stepdaughter!

6. Interesting facts and this looks like an interesting movie. As a father of daughters I am all about empowering movies for women. Look forward to seeing this!

7. Sounds like an interesting movie, however I am not into politics and never really been. I think I might wait for it to come out on dvds and rent it then.

8. mrsshukra says:

Thank you for this interesting post! Can’t wait to see this movie!

9. Kristen says:

It is hard to imagine a world where women were not allowed to vote.

10. Carry Mulligan is great actress. I wanted to see the screening but missed it 🙁

11. That looks like a great movie. My youngest daughter loves true stories!

12. Gayle Watkins says:

This sounds like an interesting movie topic, but the fact that’s it’s a portrayal of UK suffrage does not interest me. I will probably pass on this one.

13. I am not into politics, but this is a very interesting movie. I’m looking forward to seeing this.

14. What a cool list of facts! I love this kind of stuff! Thanks for sharing!

15. It’s so amazing how many firsts have still been happening for women! What a wonderful list.

16. Great facts. I’m really excited about seeing this.

17. Julie Lundstrom says:

I would like to see this. I grew up in Politics so this is an interest of mine.

18. I’ve never heard this film before, but it looks like in reality.

19. I can’t wait to see this movie, I love suffragette history. It’s so sad that as a country the most representation we’ve had in congress at any one time is 14 women…. Let that sink in for a second

20. I’d love to see the movie, women’s history is so interesting!

21. Wow! I had no idea that women had come as far as they have in politics. This looks like a great movie that I will have to see.

22. I have not heard about this movie. It sounds like it is going to be a very good movie. I love watching movies like this!

23. CourtneyLynne says:

I’m all int politics! Political science was my college minor 😉 I will have to see this film!

24. I always think these kinds of list are a fun and informative read. Politics can be tough stuff, kudos to the women who brave the storm to try and help the better good.

25. This is very interesting & informative post! This looks like a great movie, I’m looking forward to seeing this movie.

26. I love seeing the advancement of women in politics (and every other arena). I think the Suffragette movie is well worth seeing too!

27. I don’t know much about the women’s rights movement in the U.K. so that will be interesting to learn about!