An update on Roxy, and our holistic approach to cancer

12063176_764257450387811_392437808_n

A few months ago we found out that our sweet basset hound, Roxy, a.k.a Foxy Roxy has cancer. She has at-least five tumors, two of them have been pretty fast growing. Due to her age (11), breed and one of the larger tumors being unable to be removed, we made the hard decision to not put her through surgery or any other harsh treatments. It would just feel wrong, and selfish at this point in her life. So, we are just going to love, and pamper her as much as we can, and for as long as she stays happy and pain-free.

IMG_20151115_150516

Roxy is not just a dog to us, she is a big part of our family, so this has been really emotional.

About a month ago our teenage daughter started adding Pau D’Arco oil drops to Roxy’s water. I honestly think it is helping her. She has more energy than she did before, and one of her larger tumors has actually gotten noticeably smaller, while the others seem to be growing much slower than they were before. I know this is somewhat subjective, and I am in no way a medical professional, but this is what I am seeing in Roxy’s case.

Next, I am researching the best diet plan for Roxy. I know nothing is going to take the cancer away, but if we can give her another year or two of a happy life, we’re all in.

Comments

1. Wow, that must’ve been horrible for your to find out! I know so many people whose dogs are way more than just a pet. It’s nice to read how you will be taking care of her and making sure she’s as comfortable as can be – make sure to cherish this time with her <3

2. vickie couturier says:

hey ,I don’t blame you to trying anything beyond surgery its worth a try and wont hurt her at all,,hope she continues to improve

I am praying for Roxy and am glad that she is still with you. Basset hounds have such love in their hearts and they want to be with their owners all the time! Biggles my basset was so funny. Every night at 5pm he barked and wanted to go out. I think he heard the sound of the news and did not want me to watch it. I miss him a lot. He gave me so much love!

4. Renee Rousseau says:

Roxy is so lucky to have you for his people!! Holistic & Humane! Good luck to your family and Roxy!

5. Aww, Bless Roxy, she looks like such an amazing Dog. I always had Dogs growing up and they really are part of the family.

6. It can be so hard when a beloved pet is sick. I am sorry to hear about Roxy and I will be keeping her in my thoughts. I hope she stays pain free for a long time.

7. What a hard decision. It does look like she’s happy and comfortable. Hope you can have her around like that for quite a while longer 🙂

8. I hope Roxy sees some improvement. It’s great that you’re making an effort to pamper her so she’s comfortable and happy.

9. What a hard decision to make. Pets in our family are family so going through this is never easy. Will keep her in our thoughts and hope that she stays pain free!

10. Poor little pup!
    I hope that you will find something that will work on your little pup and you will get a chance to enjoy her for many more years to come.

11. Hannah C says:

I am sorry to hear Roxy has cancer. Pets are family so I know it must be really difficult. I am praying for Roxy!

12. I hate to see animals in pain. I hope your baby gets better soon!!

13. Sharon Wong says:

So glad to know that Roxy has people like you at her side. It’s so awful to see animals in pain, but I hope that she gets better over time.

14. Nicole Sender says:

I hope that your puppy can stay comfortable, improve and continue to be a part of your family.

15. I am so sorry that she is sick. Our dog is a family member to us, and I can’t imagine how hard it would be if he was sick. I like the idea of a holistic approach. I think it causes less stress than invasive and aggressive treatments.

16. I love Rox’ys ears, they look so soft and floppy. Sending Roxy good vibes.

17. awww poor roxy. she is such a cute dog.. my brothers dog got really sick once and i felt so bad for the both of them

18. Ron Leyba says:

Hope and pray that Roxy will get better soon. She’s really cute!

19. Oh, she’s so precious. My dog Snickers was 11 when I knew she had cancer. I wouldn’t let the vet do the x-rays because I knew. The kids were playing in the pool, and she was running and playing. We went in, and her eyes started darting back and forth, and she ran into things. I thought she was having a seizure. I checked, and her gums were white, so I went to the emergency vet. She had spleen cancer, and her spleen had exploded. I’m so thankful she lived and played up to the last moments. I love your daughter is adding in oils. Love and treasure these moments. There is nothing sweeter or more loving than an older dog. Hugs!

20. Jeanine says:

Oh Roxy! How sad. I couldn’t imagine. We have 3 dogs and they are everything to me. Really hoping something works!

21. I am sorry to hear about Roxy. I hate to see animals in pain. Praying for Roxy to get well soon!!

22. So sorry you couldn’t do surgery to remove the tumors. I hope the holistic approach gives Roxy the best outcome!!

23. Francisca Ramos says:

I am sorry you are going through this. It’s the best choice you did was not to do surgery. Spend all you can with your precious dog. My previous dog was getting seizures. I was told she had cancer and the reason for the seizures. They gave her 24 hours to live and seizures didn’t stop. I had no choice to put her to sleep. I didn’t want to bring her home and watch her die. It was painful to do. I still miss her. A few months after she passed. A friend gave me a puppy from her litter. Jinger is now a year and 8 months old. She’s my little shorkie. Jinger did help with the healing after losing my previous dog. The only advice I can tell you. Get another dog to be with you and Roxy. It helps bring laughter and healing. I wish Roxy and your family the best.

24. Aww, so sorry to hear this news! Wat a sweet dog!
    Cathy

25. Aw poor doggie. I love you all are taking an holistic approach.

26. Beautiful dog. I am so sorry that she’s sick. Hopefully your approach will heal her!

27. I’m sorry to hear about your pet’s diagnosis. Sounds like you’re doing a great job in providing comfort and care.