Houses vs Apartments, The Pros & Cons

Apartment Building Community

Buying a house vs. renting an apartment – which one is the better choice?

Gone are the days when apartment living is considered as the only choice for financially challenged families and individuals. Nowadays, even those people with enough money choose to rent an apartment than buy a house.  Renting an apartment has now become a lifestyle choice. It’s not longer taken as a sign of a financial status or capability of a certain person.

Although there are people who prefer living in an apartment, there are also those who love living in their own abode. Now, you might be asking which option is better but actually, there’s no right or wrong answer. The choice you will make depends on different factors especially on your lifestyle and personal preference.

And to help you figure out which of them suits you, here’s a rundown of the pros and cons of apartment living and living in your own abode.

Apartment living pros and cons

One of the biggest disadvantage of apartment living is the small space. But this doesn’t have to discourage you as there are lots of ways to make it look and feel bigger. Some people also see it in a positive way as small space means smaller area to clean and maintain.

In an apartment, you will be closely surrounded by random people called neighbors. So better check the apartment community especially the unit you wanted to rent before signing the rental agreement. Your neighbor plays a huge role with the quality of life you’ll have inside your rented home. If you are the type of person who loves a quite surrounding, apartment living might not be good for you.  Well of course, it all depends on the apartment that you’ll rent as some apartment offers sound proof units that usually comes in a higher rental fee.

As for the safety and security, apartment living is a better choice. There are apartment buildings and communities that employ security guards to ensure their tenant’s safety. There are also those who use high tech security systems (CCTVs, high-tech door locks, etc) as an added security. Also, if you are living in a good apartment community, chances of theft are less as there are lots of people (your neighbors) surrounding your place.

If you have pets, you might want to reconsider renting an apartment as communities do have specific rules and laws about them. Some doesn’t want large pets inside their units while some will ask for added rental fee.  Things like this makes apartment living a less popular choice for pet owners.

The pros and cons of buying and living at your own house

Buying and living at your own home is best for people who wanted to have enough peace and privacy. It’s best for those who own quite a number of pets, who loves inviting people around and throws parties every now and then.  Having your own home means having the full freedom to do whatever you want inside your house. But this also means additional maintenance that requires extra time, effort and money. You will have more space to clean up, more windows to wipe and floor area to dust off.

Having your own house means having your own exclusive parking space or garage, unlike in apartment communities where there are times that you’ll end up parking your car at the nearest vacant available spot (which could be hundreds of meters away from your rented unit).

With your own house, you don’t have to worry about rowdy neighbors and curious people asking you random questions all day long.

That being said, both renting an apartment and living in your own house offers advantages and disadvantages that could affect your daily life. It’s just a matter of which one suits you best and your chosen lifestyle.

About the author:

Ron is the webmaster and content editor of Apartments For Rent in Michigan blog and Michigan Houses Online blog. For more of his tips about apartment living vs. buying a house, you can visit this webpage.

Comments

I love having a house and a garage to park my car. Definitely makes me feel more secure!

2. Marti Tabora says:

I’ve never lived in an apartment, but it is interesting to read the pros and cons. Many of them I have never thought of before.

3. I haven’t lived in an apartment since right after I got married over 30 years ago! We’ve owned our own house for years and I love the freedom of working in my flower gardens. There are definite pros and cons to both.

4. I never cared for living in the city. Living in an apartment was just to small for myself. I have friends who love the ease of living in an apartment, built in security and some of the gyms etc that come with living there. I am more of a house person.

5. I lived in an apartment when I was younger and the people above us were LOUD. I don’t think I’d ever want to live in one again.

We’re currently in a house and like it but yes, it can get expensive if something breaks down.

6. This is exactly what we went through when we decided to buy house. The rent was getting too high for us so we save some money and we put a good size down payment on a house and it made our mortgage almost $300 to $400 cheaper that we are paying on rent.

7. Such a great pros and cons list! I would say I’m more of an apartment girl 🙂

8. While I have done both, it’s nice to know that you will not have to pay for repairs when renting vs owning!

9. Pam says:

There are definitely pros and cons to owning and renting. I am glad we live in our own house but it is not for everybody.

10. I have actually told my husband I would rather live in a apartment right now. having a home is so much work. There is always something that needs repaired or looked at. We just have too may kids! ?

11. The main thing I’ve always hated about apartments is the lack of control. With my house, yes, I have to handle more but at least I have control over it getting fixed, etc.

12. I’ve lived in a few different types of flats, from a bedsit with communial areas to a flat with its own private entrance. These days I’m in a bungalow and I couldn’t go back to flat life, I can’t deal with the noise it brings. However at one point it make me feel safer as I was in such a close proximity to others. I can definitely see flat life has its good points.

13. I am currently renting an apartment and I truly love but I am also ready to step on the property ladder and start the search

14. I’ve been thinking about this lately. One should really consider the advantages and disadvantages. Thanks for the comparison.

15. Emma Spellman says:

We rent a house and before that we rented apartment. The downstairs neighbors would complain about my toddler running around so we knew we needed to find a house to rent to a apartment on the first floor because I was sick of hearing about it. It is so nice having a house because he can play and run around all he wants and be a kid without someone banging on the floor to be quiet throughout the day.

16. Jaime Nicole says:

Now that I have a house, I think the biggest pro of an apartment is being able to call someone to fix things. But it is nice to make your own choices about your home.

17. Debra J Hawkins says:

We have done both and like both. I am always grateful we have a house when their aren’t crazy upstairs neighbors and glad that we are renting is something big breaks. 😉

18. I had been renting a house before. But having a own house will be great because you can do all the things you want and it is more secure.

19. My Teen Guide says:

My husband and I agreed that we would work hard to buy our own house, and we did! We love being able to decide what to do, renovate, what color of paint to use, etc. With apartment dwellers, that may not be an option. I think apartments would be a good choice for single people, or couples, even for a small family of 3. However, in the long run, a house is the better choice.

20. If I don’t have pets and no kids, I would choose apartment living. Having a house is costly especially with the maintenance.

21. We have a townhouse, so unfortunately we’re connected to one other person, but at least we have a garage and don’t hear them all that often.

I’ve done both and much prefer the house living but admit when it comes to fixing things, house maintenance that’s when I wish for an apartment. Not so much because of money (that does suck though) but because I totally don’t know what to do, who to call, who to rely on, etc.

23. Diane Sabatini says:

I’m dying to get our own home and be able to do what I want to.

24. Kimberly Flickinger says:

I am currently in an apartment but looking for a house, this is good info to know.

25. Rachel Dean says:

Good tips! Thank you! We lived in an apt once and I wouldn’t want to ever go back!

26. Rosie says:

I’d love to have a house so I can have a garden and do what I want to the property. I have a condo, and that is more like an apt, with noisy people under & over you, etc., giant condo fee hikes, unending assessments.