8 Summertime Decorating Tips and Ideas for Your Home

Summertime is here! This just means more time for fun and exciting outdoor activities. But before you head out and do some camping and picnics, it’s best to redecorate your home first and give it a summer feel.

Summer Interior Living Room

Below are some tips and tricks that could bring the summertime feel inside your home. They are pretty easy to do and won’t cost you that much to do so. Check them out!

Heavy to light
Pull back the curtains and get rid of big and dark colored items. Hide those heavy décors and accessories and replace them with light colored ones. Clear as much floor space as possible to give your home a more airy feel.

Indoor plants

Succulents can definitely give your home a fresher and cleaner look. Consider placing few pots of succulents at your living room, dining room and at your bedroom. Aside from the cool touch of green that it can give (which is perfect for summer), succulents can also improve the quality of air inside your home.

Change the view
Fireplace is the common focal point for most homes. This summer, change it into something new! Rearrange your furniture away from the fireplace and shift it toward your doors and/or windows. Remove any heavy draperies and consider hanging gossamer sheers that flows along with the summer breeze.

Summer scents
The scent of gingerbread and evergreen are perfect for the cold winter months. This summer, consider using fresh scents such as cucumber-melon, sweet green mist and ocean breeze. You will be surprise on how much these scents can affect the mood and atmosphere inside your house.

Considering using floral and colorful fabrics
Floral prints and colorful fabrics can instantly give your home a summer boost. Consider using them at your bedroom, living room and dining room. Just make sure to keep your wall color neutral to give these fabrics extra boost.

Update furniture
Paint up your old and tired furniture with a glossy, summer hue such as cool green and sky blue. Aside from making your old furniture shine as new, repainting them with these colors can give your home a more summer feel and look.

Use colorful wall art
If your wall color is a bit dark and you don’t want to repaint it, consider hanging colorful artworks. Washi tapes are also a good option and there are tons of ideas you can rely on via the internet. Adding more cool colors at your wall is a simple yet very effective way to instantly improve the looks and feel of your interior.

Bring colors to your table
Enjoy summertime dinner with a colorful table. Use floral or tropical printed table cloths. Mix some bright floral-theme dishes with your plates and bowls. To add more flair, create an impromptu bar (separate table) and arrange bottles and glassware on a serving tray.

Before you head out there and plan your summer vacation, considering applying these tips and ideas at your home.

About the author:

Ron is the webmaster and content editor of Apartments For Rent in Michigan blog and Michigan Houses Online blog. For more of his tips about apartment living vs. buying a house, you can visit this webpage.

Comments

1. Updating furniture is always a good idea! 🙂

I love these tips! I feel like summertime in a home is all about using more natural light and vibrant colors.

I have these light blue dishes that I love and that would be great for a summertime party 🙂 good tips.

4. shelly peterson says:

Great tips! Updating for Summer can be fun. I like lots of color!

5. Cheryl says:

These are great tips. I love finding new inexpensive accent pieces to update my apartment. You can choose colors for every season.

6. What a beautiful space. Mostly what we are focusing on this summer is decluttering every room in our house. It is a long process but it always feels great when it is done. I love these tips!

7. I love changing to summer-y scents 🙂 And without even being intentional, it’s so nice to be rid of the school-year clutter of stuff we need all the time during the school year.

8. Anna Mae
    Twitter: a2withkids

I never thought to change up the decor for the seasons – beyond some seasonal decor. I like your advice on the scents.

9. I really would like to spruce up my place. I think these are some amazing tips for decorating for the summer. Adding plants can definitely bring life into a room.

10. Pictures and wall decor can make a room. I love decorating.

11. These are nice simple tips to add a Summer feel to your home for the season without doing a complete overhaul. I love that we can add a few pieces and change a few things to change the feel of a room without breaking the bank. I like the idea of adding in a few Summer scents, I need to get on that!

12. I totally agree with the plants and lighter scents! It makes such a big difference to lighten everything up. I usually try to switch out my pillows and any seasonal wall decor when I can.

13. Fits Slow Cooker Queen says:

I love indoor plants like succulents. I don’t really have a green thumb and succulents are low maintenance.

My furniture/decor could use a serious update, they are all freebies and yard sale items that do not go together. I’m definitely going to get some plants to start off with.

15. lisa says:

I love to update my home for the summer, just this past weekend we redid our bathroom and living room. These are some great tips for decorating your home this summer. I also need to add a few plants and some new color to my home, it definitely makes a difference!

16. I love the tip about bringing in summer scents. My decor usually stays the same (aside from some little things), but I am all about changing scents in my tart burners to match the season. It’s amazing how something so small can really make such an impact.

17. These are great tips. I really want to freshen up our new house! I love the light bright colors. Howver, white, bright colors do not like ,me. Or I should save, my kids don’t!

18. Ali Rost says:

I’ve been thinking about doing a little freshening around our house and summer is the perfect time of year. I really love your idea of bringing color into a room. We do a lot of that. Grey walls and neutral furniture, with bold colorful rugs, and pops of color in lamps, throw pillows, etc. I haven’t thought about adding scents .. what a wonderful idea! I’ll give that a try next

19. shannon says:

I have to admit, I never thought about re-arranging my decor by season. What a simple yet effective idea. Thank you! You definitely got my wheel spinning!

20. Rosie says:

This room looks so inviting. I’d love to update with some floral pillows and some real flowers.

21. Indoor plants are a new way to make a statement. I love the bamboo plant, snake plant, and rubber tree. For summer scents, I prefer something citrus. A spray of water with lemon essential oil will be a nice and refreshing for the room.

22. Keri justice says:

Greta tips, now of only my house was cluttered with my 3 kids toys and things!

23. Shakeia Rieux says:

I never thought about doing any of those things, but they’re great ideas which I could use. The colorful wall art is definitely something I need

24. vickie couturier says:

love the tips and suggestions