Vegan Tater Tot Casserole #VeganFoodShare

We live in the midwest, and here in the midwest we tend to love our casseroles. I make a great turkey, cheddar and broccoli casserole. It’s my go-to when I’m in need of some real comfort food. Being vegan means our teenage daughter has been missing out on my usual casseroles, so I wanted to give this recipe from the Vegan Stoner Cookbook a try. It turned out pretty good. Not something I would make just for me, but our daughter and her boyfriend (also vegan) both really enjoyed it.

tatertothotdish_004

What you’ll need:

1 package of firm tofu
1 head of fresh cauliflower
2 tbs vegetable oil
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 tbs Adobo spice
4 tbs nutritional yeast
2 cups frozen vegetables
1 bag of frozen tater tots
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tbs chili powder (optional)

tatertothotdish_003

Mash the tofu and cook in an oiled pan. Add 1 tbs Adobo spice and optional chili powder. Cook until it is dry, and sticking together. Spread tofu mix into a pie pan.

Cook frozen vegetables in oiled pan, but don’t over cook. Spread the vegetables over tofu mixture.
Cut and cook the cauliflower until soft. Then toss in blender. Add vegetable broth, remaining Adobo spice and nutritional yeast. Blend well.

Pour and spread mixture evenly over the vegetables and tofu. A dash of salt and pepper. Then top with tater tots and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until tots are slightly browned and mixture looks think, and baked around the edges.

tatertothotdish_002

The vegetables really make this dish tasty, as long they are not over cooked. I don’t know if this casserole is one you can make ahead or even freeze, but the leftovers were pretty tasty. In-fact it was a bit more flavorful the second day.

tatertothotdish_006

Have a vegan recipe you’d like to share? Email me at shakingit@gmail.com.

Comments

1. shelly peterson says:

This looks pretty good. I have never tried Tofu before.

This reminds me of a chicken pot pie! Looks delicious!!

3. vickie couturier says:

my son and his family are vegan,,they would love this

4. I do love a good casserole. Looks similar to what we call tater tot casserole, but we use ground beef instead of tofu.

5. Although I’m not Vegan I do love tofu & cauliflower. I’d definitely give this a try!

6. This looks great! It’s like an upgraded pot pie – my Kiddies would love this! We need to add this to our summer menu for sure.

7. People are so creative with casserole dishes! I love the fact that this one uses tater tots – I never think of doing that! Also makes putting it together quite easy which is delightful for me.

8. This definitely looks similar to a chicken pot pie! I love all the extra vegetables, but would substitute the tofu for chicken or turkey. 🙂

9. YUM! I have made a similar Tater Tot Casserole recipe and it is always a hit in my family. I will have to try your recipe. Great way to get more veggies in the dish. Thanks for the yummy idea.

10. This looks SO good! I’m always on the lookout for tasty vegan dishes so my niece can have something to eat when she visits. Bookmarking for a later date 🙂

Louise x

11. Ali Rost says:

I’m a midwest girl too and my love of the tater tot casserole runs deep. I remember my mom making it for dinner out of her church lady cookbook. Here, I love the twist of cauliflower, tofu, lots of veggies, and nutritional yeast. This one I’ll have to try!

12. It does look very interesting. I haven’t quite gone vegan yet, but it still does look good. I just haven’t had the great experience with Tofu I know so many have. They say it takes on the flavor of what you cook it with. I just never had that experience. Maybe I am doing it all wrong and will have to try again.

13. Cindy says:

I like tofu and tater tots separately.

14. Wow your Vegan Tator Tot Casserole looks delicious! Of course anything with tator tots has me at hello! 🙂 I love the addition of all of the veggies and cauliflower in this recipe. I must give it a try.

15. Cheryl says:

This sounds really good except for the tofu.

16. Rosie says:

This came out so good, I’m primarily vegetarian and love tofu. I’d like to try this!

17. Keri justice says:

To be honest I’ve never had tofu, but your ending meal looks delicious!

18. rochelle haynes says:

Looking good like to try this