I was sent a complimentary copy of You’ve Been Sentenced, along with their Twisted Fish card game to play and review with my family. We are a big card and game family. We feel it’s important as a family to have time together doing nothing else but relaxing and having fun. That is why we make a point of planning a “Family Fun Night” at least two Fridays a month. Over the last two we have played You’ve Been Sentenced.
Grades 3 & up. This sentence-building game uses unique five-sided cards with multiple conjugations of a base word. With a hand of 10 cards, players try to score the most points per round by constructing the longest, grammatically correct, and sensible sentence. Any player can object to another players sentence, on either grammatical grounds, or the fact that the sentence just doesn’t make sense. The defending player and the objecting player get to argue their points to the rest of the players, who form a jury. Half the fun is trying to defend, explain, and justify a completely ridiculous sentence to the other players. First player to reach 200 points wins.
Our daughter is twelve and really enjoys this game. She loves making us laugh with her silly sentences. And we love hearing how creative she can get with it each time we play. Any board game that combines reading and fun is hit with us.
You’ve Been Sentenced also offers multiple methods of play and you can purchase several add-on card sets to keep things fresh.
The available add-on decks include:
Reader’s Digest National Word Power Challenge™ Deck
Sports Highlights Deck
Sci-fi and Fantasy
Pop Culture Deck
Gourmet Cuisine Deck
This fun for the whole family board game scores high on my 2011 Holiday Gift Guide!
You’ve been Sentenced! Awards List and Distribution
1. Oppenheim Toy Portfolio, Gold Seal Award
2. iParenting Media, Hot Product Award
3. Creative Child Magazine, Seal of Excellence
4. Dr. Toy, Best Products Award
5. Spewgie Award, Best Family Fun Game Award
6. Tillywig Award, Laugh Out Loud Fun Award
7. Scholastic Instructor Magazine, Best of Teachers Picks Award
8. National Parenting, Seal of Approval
9. Mr. Dad, Gold Seal of Approval
10. Dad Does, Approved Award
11. Parent Tested Parent Approved, Best Product
12. Parents’ Choice Award, Recommended
13. The Toy Man, Award of Excellence, 5 Stars
14. Parents With Style, Stylish Product Award
15. Mensa Parenting for High Potential, Hot Product
16. FAO Schwarz Toy Auditions, Winner
17. George Lucas Educational Foundation’s Edutopia magazine, Hot Media for Educators
Shop: This game is definitely a hit with our family and friends. You can try it for your self – You’ve been Sentenced! is now available at Barnes & Noble, Kohl’s and Toys R Us along with hundreds of independent stores, and catalogs. You can also shop McNeill Designs Online. Don’t forget to also check out the Wheel of Chore-ture™ and Twisted Fish Card game. It puts a new spin on an old card game we all know and love and it’s also a lot of fun!
I was provided with free products by McNeil Designs for the purpose of writing this blog post. No type of monetary compensation was received. The opinions expressed are all mine.